location 1580 N. Northwest Highway, Suite 12, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Facebook Linkedin
George Skuros
Free Consultations
phone 312-884-1222

When Does Child Support End in Illinois?

 Posted on October 06, 2021 in Child Support

Child support payments are a welcome form of financial assistance for many parents. However, the laws surrounding child support are sometimes difficult to interpret on your own. If you currently pay or receive child support and your child is getting older, you may ask, “When does child support end?” The term “child support” makes it seem as if a parent only receives child support while the child is a minor. However, there are several situations in which child support continues even after a child turns 18 years old.


Do You Still Have to Pay Child Support If the Child Goes to College in Illinois?

Child support orders last until the child turns 18 years old and becomes an adult. However, if the child is still in high school when they turn 18, child support continues until the child graduates high school and turns 19. Many child support orders include an automatic termination date. However, some obligors (paying parents) will need to request a child support modification to terminate child support once the child becomes an adult. If you pay child support, do not assume that your child support obligation automatically ends without confirming the termination date. Failure to pay child support is considered a serious offense in Illinois.

Can Child Support Continue After 18 in Illinois?

Child support does not always end once a child turns 18 and graduates from high school. If the child attends college, child support can continue through his or her undergraduate degree. Child support can help cover college tuition, books, fees, housing, and other expenses. The parents may agree on how they will cover their child’s college expenses or the court may order “non-minor child support” to be paid based on both parents’ financial circumstances and other factors.

Child support may also be extended past a child’s 18th or 19th birthday if the child suffers from a disability. Intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, and other medical concerns can prevent a child from becoming financially independent. In this case, the child’s parent may petition the court for non-minor child support.

Contact a Cook County Child Support Lawyer

Whether you are the payor or recipient of child support, it is important to understand your rights and responsibilities. For help, contact skilled Chicago family law attorney George J. Skuros. Mr. Skuros has over 30 years of legal experience. He can help you establish, modify, or enforce child support payments, address how you and the other parent will pay for college expenses, and more. Call The Law Office of George J. Skuros today at 312-884-1222 for a free, confidential case review and consultation.

Share this post:
Back to Top