location 1580 N. Northwest Highway, Suite 12, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Facebook Linkedin
George Skuros
Free Consultations
phone 312-884-1222

My Ex Refuses to Pay Child Support. What Can I Do?

 Posted on May 15, 2024 in Child Support

IL family lawyerRaising children is an expensive endeavor. Whether you are paying for typical, expected things like clothing, food, and school, or there are unanticipated costs like medical bills or special tutoring, children have unique needs and these needs often cost money. When parents get a divorce and go from sharing expenses and income to handling these matters separately, it can be extremely stressful for a parent who is not financially independent or stable. While child support is intended to help parents in this situation, it can be detrimental if the other spouse suddenly stops making their payments. If your ex has stopped paying child support and is refusing to talk to you about it, contact a Chicago, IL divorce lawyer who can pursue ways to get these payments again.

Raising Children After a Divorce

Married parents are generally left alone to raise their children and manage their finances without the courts getting involved, as long as no one is being neglected or harmed. That changes when they get a divorce and the court suddenly needs to approve a plan for where and when the child will stay and how their expenses will be covered.

Divorce settlements include parenting plans that address issues like child custody and parental responsibilities. They generally also include arrangements for child support payments so that a spouse with more financial means is legally obligated to make regular payments to a spouse with less money and more childcare responsibilities. Unfortunately, people sometimes decide on their own to simply stop paying. This can be extremely distressing for the parent who depends on the payments to cover essential things like grocery bills and clothing purchases for their kids.

What Can I Do if the Payments Suddenly Stop?

If your ex has stopped making child support payments without warning, you can try to get to the bottom of it in three ways:

  • Ask them directly: If you and your ex communicate with each other, you can ask why they stopped paying. Maybe it was a mistake, or maybe they lost their job and cannot afford it. Maybe you can work together to come up with a solution.
  • Go through DCSS: If you and your ex are not on speaking terms, you might consider going through the Illinois Division of Child Support Services (DCSS), which offers assistance to people in your situation for free.¬†
  • Hire a lawyer: DCSS is an excellent option and does not charge for the services they provide, but it can take a long time to resolve an issue. If you cannot afford to wait, you can contact an attorney in the state where you and your child live. They can work quicker than DCSS and work hard to reinstate the payments you need.

Schedule a Free Consultation with a Chicago, IL Child Support Attorney

If you need your ex to make their child support payments, a qualified Cook County, IL child support lawyer can help. At The Law Office of George J. Skuros, we focus on making sure our clients understand the legal issues involved and have realistic ideas of the results they can expect. Call us at 312-884-1222 so we can review your case and work with you on resolving this issue.

Share this post:
Back to Top