location 1580 N. Northwest Highway, Suite 12, Park Ridge, IL 60068
Facebook Linkedin
George Skuros
Free Consultations
phone 312-884-1222

I Brought Up the Prospect of Getting a Prenuptial Agreement with My Spouse, and They Reacted Badly. What Should I Do? 

 Posted on March 22, 2023 in Family Law

park ridge prenuptial agreement lawyerA prenuptial agreement, sometimes called a prenup, is a legal agreement between two people planning to marry. Essentially, the agreement outlines how the couple's property and assets will be divided in case of divorce. Furthermore, prenuptial agreements are an important consideration for many couples prior to getting married. However, bringing up the topic of a prenuptial agreement can sometimes lead to unexpected reactions from your fiancé. Today, we will discuss what you should do if your spouse gets angry at the idea of getting a prenup.

If you are interested in prenuptial agreements and what they may entail, contact an experienced family law attorney to understand better the process and the potential benefits signing such an agreement may have. 

What to Do if Your Spouse Reacts Negatively to the Idea

It is not uncommon for people to be uncomfortable regarding the topic of prenups. Some people believe prenups to be unromantic and that by signing a prenup, you thereby admit that your marriage will likely end in divorce. Accordingly, if your spouse becomes upset when you mention the possibility of a prenup, here are some steps you can take:

  • Listen to their concerns – The first step is to listen to your fiancé's concerns. For example, they may be upset because they feel like you do not trust them, or they may be worried about the implications of a prenuptial agreement. Whatever their concerns are, it is important to listen to them and try to understand where they are coming from. 

  • Explain your reasons – Once you have listened to your fiancés' concerns, explaining your reasons for wanting a prenuptial agreement is essential. For example, you may want to shield your partner from your debts or ensure that your children from a previous relationship receive certain assets. Whatever your reasons are, explain them to your fiancé in a calm, rational manner.

  • Seek professional advice – If your fiancé is still upset, it may be helpful to seek professional advice. For example, a family law attorney can explain the benefits of a prenuptial agreement and help both of you understand your legal rights and obligations. 

  • Consider alternatives – If your spouse is still unwilling to consider a prenuptial agreement, it may be worth considering alternatives, such as creating a postnuptial agreement after marriage, which can provide similar protections as a prenuptial agreement. 

Contact a Chicago, IL Family Law Attorney

Contact the compassionate Park Ridge family law lawyers with The Law Office of George J. Skuros for matters pertaining to family law. Call 312-884-1222 for a free consultation.







Share this post:
Back to Top